All six classic films are finally being released in Digital HD this Friday, April 10, as the Saga ramps up the nostalgia machine heading into the last stretch before The Force Awakens bows in December. A lot of children’s events, like basketball, ballet, gymnastic meets, or band are about to be ignored by parents now as they sneak in a Star Wars movie or two up in the stands. I mean, they’ve probably been doing it for years, but at least it’s a lot easier now. Full details, including some pricing options and special features mentioned in the press release, are below.
The benefits for buying the Digital Collection aren’t just accessibility, but include, “…Star Wars: Discoveries from Inside and insightful Conversations between key contributors from across this celebrated film franchise, plus a curated collection of classic Star Wars extras from each film.” Unfortunately there’s a little asterisk that bonus features will vary by online retailer, but I assume at least the two new special features made specifically for this version of the Saga’s release will be included everywhere, with the ‘old’ bonus content possibly missing on certain stores. Why that would be the case, I don’t know, and buyers should double check that before purchasing.
The online retailers so far announced to be selling the Digital Movie Collection are Amazon, VUDU, iTunes, PlayStation Store, Xbox Video, Google Play. The pricing may give owners of the most recent Blu-ray editions of the Saga pause, considering Amazon and VUDU both have the Collection up for pre-order at $89.99, while Google Play has it for $99.99. I would’ve thought they’d sell these slightly cheaper, more like 70 or so, but if Star Wars fans want them…well, they’ll buy ’em.
Here’s the list of what you’ll be getting with each film:
Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Conversations: Doug Chiang Looks Back
- Discoveries From Inside: Models & Miniatures
- Legacy content includes “The Beginning”; The Podrace: Theatrical Edit; plus eight deleted scenes.
Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Conversations: Sounds In Space
- Discoveries From Inside: Costumes Revealed
- Legacy content includes “From Puppets To Pixels: Digital Characters In Episode II”; State Of The Art: The Previsualization Of Episode II; and “Films Are Not Released, They Escape”; plus Episode II Visual Effects Breakdown Montage and six deleted scenes.
Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Conversations: The Star Wars That Almost Was
- Discoveries From Inside: Hologram & Bloopers
- Legacy content includes documentaries “Within A Minute: The Making Of Episode III”; The Journey Part 1; and The Journey Part 2; plus six deleted scenes.
Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (20th Century Fox)
- Conversations: Creating A Universe
- Discoveries From Inside: Weapons & The First Lightsaber
- Legacy content includes “Anatomy Of A Dewback”; Star Wars Launch Trailer; plus eight deleted scenes.
Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- Conversations: The Lost Interviews
- Discoveries From Inside: Matte Paintings Unveiled
- Legacy content includes “A Conversation With The Masters” (2010); “Dennis Muren: How Walkers Walk”; “George Lucas On Editing The Empire Strikes Back 1979”; and “George Lucas On The Force: 2010”; plus six deleted scenes.
Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Conversations: The Effects
- Discoveries From Inside: The Sounds Of Ben Burtt
- Legacy content includes “Classic Creatures: Return Of The Jedi”; “Revenge Of The Jedi Teaser Trailer”; Return Of The Jedi Launch Trailer; “It Began TV Spot”; “Climactic Chapter TV Spot”; plus five deleted scenes.
First Star Wars Stand-Alone Titled, Ep. VIII Gets Release Date
New Star Wars: Aftermath Details, Cover Unveiled
Marvel’s Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens Image, Aftermath Author Revealed
20 Books Along the ‘Journey to The Force Awakens’
Star Wars Celebration Anaheim Schedule is Live
Trading Cards Announce The Force Awakens Character Names
The Force Awakens Trailer Impressions
Star Wars VII Receives Official Title: The Force Awakens
New Ep. VII Cast and Production Update
Wednesday Overload: J.J. Trolls, Standalone Director, Rebels Clips, Insider Canon
Lupita Nyong’o and Gwendoline Christie Join Ep. VII Cast!