No, those weren’t tears in my eyes from watching the above behind-the-scenes video. Definitely not tears. I think it’s raining in my basement. Look, you watch that and try not to get a little teary-eyed, alright? Star Wars came to San Diego Comic Con for the first time to take a look at The Force Awakens, and while it covered some things we heard at April’s SWCA, it blew the roof off of Hall H and excauated everyone to a secret Star Wars concert. Technically it didn’t happen that way, but it sure felt like it and there was totally a concert they took everyone to! Details on what we all learned below.
UPDATE: I sum the panel up below…but here’s the entire panel!
- Gwendoline Christie mentioned how happy she is to have a female character who is interesting and important and it has nothing to do with her looks.
- Domhnall Gleeson is playing General Hux of the First Order. According to Gleeson, “I am evil. He’s British.” No more details but we got some pictures.
- The base Kylo and crew are hiding in is called Starkiller Base, the last name of Luke in the first drafts of Star Wars. It’s also the name of the protagonist in Legend’s video game series The Force Unleashed and Sam Witwer, Starkiller’s voice actor, had something to say about the base’s name.
- There was some discussion with Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) on how his character isn’t so much as evil as he just believes he’s right. Should be interesting to see how that plays out on screen.
- Harrison Ford! His appearance stole the show and it was pretty amazing to hear him (I was watching a glitchy Periscope feed at the time) talk about Star Wars in such a nostalgic and reverential light.
- First official look at Princess Leia in costume (as seen in the video above).
- Darth Plagueis isn’t in the film, so put that rumor to rest finally!
- They weren’t casting for Finn or Rey with any specific skin color in mind, which might mean Rey isn’t anyone’s kid but her own, brand new, character. I wouldn’t be terribly disappointed if we didn’t follow any children of Leia/Han or Luke’s.
- Unfortunately no Andy Serkis or mention of his character, Supreme Leader Snoke, as well as zero Lupita Nyong’o or Max von Sydow showings. With Sydow being the last main character not to be named, will he the first non-First Order officer to be unveiled?
- HitFix has a ton of great quotes from the panel.
- UPDATE: Gary Whitta, writer for Rogue One, Star Wars Rebels, and The Book of Eli got to attend the impromptu concert, calling it the Star Wars equivalent of Woodstock (via ClubJade).
While streaming and pictures were discouraged, that didn’t stop some people from snapping some pics and video so thanks to the internet again for all these shots from the panel. And I’m officially jealous of everyone who was walked over to the secret Star Wars concert. Speaking of the concert, they got to see Harrison Ford come out on stage using a lightsaber as a cane, everyone got a lightsaber, and it ended in fireworks. Best SDCC moment in a long time? Or ever?
Movie Review: Star Wars: Ep VII: The Force Awakens
JJ Abrams and Team Spill The Force Awakens Secrets to EW
New “Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens” Shattered Empire Details Emerge, Stars New Characters
Star Wars: Aftermath Excerpt Paints Ugly Post-Return of the Jedi Picture
Aftermath Story Details, Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens YA Novels Receive Covers
Han Solo Subject of Second Anthology Film, Directors and Writers Announced
Vanity Fair’s The Force Awakens Cover Shoot Reveals New Characters (UPDATED)
New Star Wars Anthology Series: Rogue One Details Revealed (SWCA 2015)
The Force Awakens Teaser #2 and Opening Ceremonies Impressions (SWCA 2015)
The Force Awakens Exhibit Impressions (SWCA 2015)
New Star Wars: Aftermath Details, Cover Unveiled
Marvel’s Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens Teaser, Aftermath Author Revealed
20 Books Along the ‘Journey to The Force Awakens’
First Star Wars Stand-Alone Titled, Ep. VIII Gets Release Date
Trading Cards Announce The Force Awakens Character Names
The Force Awakens Trailer Impressions
Star Wars VII Receives Official Title: The Force Awakens
New Ep. VII Cast and Production Update
Wednesday Overload: J.J. Trolls, Standalone Director, Rebels Clips, Insider Canon
Lupita Nyong’o and Gwendoline Christie Join Ep. VII Cast!