If reading all the books, watching the TV series, or diving into the online forums just hasn’t been enough Game of Thrones for you, then behold another way to engage with the fantasy series: Telltale Games’ Game of Thrones. And let’s face it, there’s never enough Game of Thrones for anyone, so I’m right there with you in eagerly anticipating this series. Telltale’s series will follow House Forrester from the ending of the 3rd season of the show and go right up till the start of the 5th and upcoming season. And much like an episode of the show or reading one of the books, you’ll play as 5(!) different characters over 6 episodes. The first episode, Iron From Ice, is ‘coming soon’ which could even mean next week for all we know, but in the mean time, here’s a look at the Forrester family tree that you’ll be coming in contact with throughout the season and the actors and actress reprising their roles from the show.
The Forrester’s sit far up in the north, on the seat of the Ironrath. They fly the banner’s of House Glover, which in turn means they fly for the Starks, who had a very terrible time during the third season (which is around where we’ll be picking up in the series). 13 Forrester’s were revealed across 13 separate online media outlets, though the identity of which 5 from this list are the playable characters remains a mystery:
- Lord Gregor Forrester: The Lord of Ironrath.
- Duncan Tuttle: Castellan of Ironrath, a farmer who’s friendship with Gregor paid off when he became Castellan.
- Lady Elissa Forrester: Wife to Lord Gregor, though not of her choice, but she’s come around now that she’s a mother.
- Rodrik Forrester: Gregor’s first born, led Forrester men to fight for Rob Stark.
- Talia Forrester: Youngest Forrester daughter.
- Asher Forrester: The son exiled for loving the Forrester’s rival house’s daughter.
- Mira Forrester: Eldest daughter sent off as handmaiden to Margaery Tyrell.
- Ethan Forrester: Twin to Talia, bookworm.
- Ryon Forrester: Youngest Forrester, who’s description promises war doesn’t care about age.
- Royland Degore: The Forrester’s Master-At-Arms.
- Maester Ortengryn: A young Maester for House Forrester.
- Malcolm Branfield: Lady Elissa’s brother, last of his line.
- Gared Tuttle: Gregor’s Squire.
Several cast members from the show will be reprising their roles: Lena Heady as Cersei Lannister (as heard in the trailer), Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister, Natalie Dormer as Margeary Tyrell, and Iwan Rheon as Ramsay Snow. These are the only ones confirmed for the first episode, so don’t be surprised to hear more recognizable voices over the course of the game’s first season. For these actors, it’s a chance to explore more of their characters and add a little more to their paycheck, so I’d not be surprised if they got everyone to reprise their roles at some point.
Expectations are running high for both fans of George R.R. Martin’s fantasy universe and fans of the recent hits Telltale Games has produced: The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us, both heavily nominated and award winners in their own rights (despite some technical issues). Telltale has had their misses, like the Jurassic Park game, but if the quality of both TWD and TWAU are anything to go by, things should be just as good, if not better, for Game of Thrones. But with it coming soon, we won’t have long to find out.