While this year I was seemingly focused on finding any and all Doctor Aphra cosplay, the record setting attendance numbers meant there was a Wookiee-load (quite literally) of amazing cosplay. Check out my gallery for cosplayers (there’s a Captain Phasma one that’s so damn good I would’ve guessed Gwendoline Chrisite had been in the suit had I not watched someone put her helmet on) and one or two big celebrity run ins, plus I have links to some other great happenings with cosplay at the con as well as the entire cosplay competition from the show that’s also well-worth a watch!
First, we’ll start out with the Aphra cosplayers I got pictures of as well as some links to pictures others took (including a half-dozen brought together at Marvel’s panel. Also, these have been shared on the site before at both the Doctor Aphra #6 review and my Marvel Panel Impressions):
At the Marvel panel, all the Aphra cosplayers were rounded up at the end for a photo op backstage with the panelists: Here’s Heather Antos with them. Jordan D. White got one, as well as Matt Martin, while Salvador Larroca, who originally drew the character, tuned in about how happy he was to see so many people cosplaying as his character. Other awesome cosplay shots, outside of the Marvel panel roundup, include Bria from Tosche-Station with Darth Vader, while she also got one with Kylo Ren as a joke in reference to Kieron Gillen’s line from the latest Star Wars Insider where he said, “I can just see an older Aphra throwing her arm around Kylo Ren and saying ‘Oh, the things I could tell you about your Grandpops.’” However, my favorite has to be Colorina’s assortment of greatest hits! The fanbase around Aphra seems to grow every year and for good reason!
And here’s the rest of the cosplay I managed to take pictures of:
Of course, the biggest (see: not at all) celebrity appearance was none other than…me, seen for only a few seconds on the livestream for Sunday:
Here are a few other things:
- So that Darth Vader scene in Rogue One? Some fans recreated it at Celebration!! Wish I had been there to see this happen!
- A little girl cosplayed as Jyn Erso and gave the Death Star plans to any and all Leia cosplayers! That’s about as adorable as it can get, folks!
- The official site has highlights from the cosplay championship (which you can watch the whole thing above).
- The giant lightsaber cosplayer got some good moments out their costume. First, they had pictures with both Hayden and Hamill, while they recreated a pivotal scene between Rey and Kylo from The Force Awakens.
- Scarif Baywatch…’nuff said.
- Dave Filoni continued to troll fans about Ahsoka’s fate with this great cosplayer. Also, he and Timothy Zahn got a picture with a great Thrawn cosplayer.
- Any Republic Commando fans? Here are some fantastic cosplayers.
- Someone cosplayed as Ahsoka when meeting Hayden…someone please bless their souls.
Cosplay Gallery and Celebrity Sightings (SWCE 2016)
Cosplay Gallery and Celebrity Sightings (SWCA 2015)
Rancho Obi-Wan Experience Visit (SWCA 2015)
Heroines of Star Wars Panel Impressions (SWCO 2017)
Battlefront II Panel Impressions: Singleplayer Focus with Inferno Squad Novel Tie-in and Multiplayer Rebooted (SWCO 2017)
Marvel Star Wars Panel Impressions (SWCO 2017)
Star Wars Rebels Final Season Panel and Trailer Impressions (SWCO 2017)
Star Wars Rebels Season Four Premiere Review: “Heroes of Mandalore” Part 1
The Last Jedi Teaser and Panel Impressions (SWCO 2017)
Forces of Destiny Brings Women of Star Wars to Focus in 2D Animated Form (SWCO 2017)
Dave Filoni: Animated Origins and Unexpected Fates Panel Impressions (SWCO 2017)
Star Wars University: LGBTQ+ in a Galaxy Far, Far Away and Chuck Wendig Writer Seminar (SWCO 2017)
A Certain Point of View Celebrates 40 Years of Star Wars: A New Hope
Star Wars Celebration Orlando 2017 News Roundup Part II: Full Panel Schedules Go Live, Mark Hamill Hosts, Battlefront II, Rancho Obi-Wan, and More!
Star Wars Celebration Orlando 2017 News Roundup Part I: The Last Jedi, Rebels Season 4, 40th Anniversary Panels, and More! (UPDATED)